10 Hassle Free Moving Tips from One State to Another
So, you have just bought a new home? That’s fantastic! The downside, or perhaps upside, depending on how you look at it, is that your new house is located in another state. That’s quite the trip to make, especially with children in tow and all the packing to finish.
Believe it or not, moving to another state can be accomplished without breaking the bank. In fact, you can complete a long-distance move without too much hassle overall. Consider the following hassle-free moving tips. They are sure to make your relocation a breeze!
Hassle Free Moving Tips
When it comes to a long-distance move, professional moving companies know a thing or two about getting the job done right.
- Research – Before arriving in your new city, research just about everything. From restaurants to local school districts.
- Gather Records – Do not wait until the last minute to gather important documents and records. You should have your Social Security cards, birth certificates, tax forms, health records, and more in one convenient, safe location.
- Forward Mail – If you already have a home waiting for you in your new city, consider forwarding the mail from your current address.
- Receipts – Moving can be quite costly. Try to save all of your receipts, especially if you donate to Goodwill, which can be a tax deduction, or for moving expense deductions if you’re moving for work.
- Utilities – Setting up and shutting off utilities is an afterthought for some. Do not forget to notify the utility companies regarding your upcoming move.
- School – If your children are of school-age, be sure to prepare ahead of time for the upcoming school year. Find top-rated schools in the new area and enroll each child accordingly.
- Sort by Category – When packing, consider sorting your items by category to make packing and unpacking a breeze. For example, sort books in a separate box, then clothing in another.
- Donations – You likely have a bit of clutter in your home. Consider donating the excess to local shelters or Goodwill to clear some space.
- Pick a Date – Moving companies are often busiest on the weekend, so consider picking a date during the week, if work allows for it.
- Moving Companies – Find the perfect moving company for your relocation. You want a company that is affordable, highly-rated, and capable of getting the job done right the first time.